We are open - safety is our top priority!
Hi! I’m the tooth fairy, and it’s nice to meet you! So many kids have questions about me, so I wanted to tell you a bit about myself. All fairies have different jobs, and mine is to help make sure that kids keep their teeth healthy. I also leave a little gift for you when you lose them. Like Santa and the Easter Bunny, I visit when you’re asleep. After you lose a tooth, I leave a present under your pillow and take your tooth back home to Fairy Village.
Losing a tooth is natural, so don’t worry when it happens. Part of growing up is when your baby teeth fall out to make room for your adult teeth. Sometimes, teeth come out for other reasons, like falling down and bumping your mouth or when the dentist needs to take them out for your oral health. I collect teeth when that happens, too, but I sure hope those things don’t happen to you!
Collecting teeth might be my job, but I’m not in any hurry to take your teeth: They should stay in your mouth until they’re ready to be replaced with adult teeth. That’s why it’s so important to keep them healthy. Just like the rest of your body, it’s really important to take good care of your oral health. Just doing a few simple things can help make sure that you keep your teeth healthy. First, eat tooth-friendly foods like fruit, vegetables, cheese, and healthy meats like turkey and chicken. You should also make sure that you brush your teeth at least two times a day, in the morning and right before bed. Make sure you use floss, too. And last but not least, make sure you go to the dentist every six months. You can ask your mom or dad when your next dental appointment is. Dentists are some of my best friends, and it’s pretty important that they check your mouth and clean your teeth with their special dental tools regularly.
Here are some fun activities and tips to help you keep your teeth healthy!
- To Tell the Tooth: Play this quiz game to test how much you know about taking care of your teeth.
- Five Minutes With Tooth D.K.: Learn from a “mouth monster” about what causes cavities and how you can avoid them.
- Captain Super Ultra Mega Smile Man: This is Sesame Street‘s page on healthy teeth, including cartoons featuring an oral health superhero.
- Children’s Oral Health Facts: This fact sheet from the CDC talks about things you can do to help keep your mouth healthy.
- Child Dental Health Basics: Learn the basics about how to take care of your teeth, then check out other resources, videos, and games from the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Going to the Dentist: You don’t have to be scared of the dentist! Dentists are there to help you keep your teeth clean and healthy.
- Know Your Teeth: A Glossary of Dental Terms: Sometimes, adults use big words when they talk about teeth. Here are some terms you might hear and what they mean.
- Healthy Teeth, Healthy Kids: Read this page to learn more about taking care of your teeth.
- Alexandria, VA, All-on-4: This page talks about implants people can get if they lose their teeth.
- Spotting Tooth Decay in Toddlers: Even the littlest kids can get cavities if they aren’t careful!
- Child Dental Health Timeline: From before you’re born until you’re a grown-up and beyond, it’s important to take good care of your teeth.
- The Science of Teeth: Your teeth might just look like little hard white things, but there’s a lot going on underneath the surface.
- Keeping Your Gums and Teeth Healthy: Brushing and flossing your teeth are simple things to do and are really important.
- Preventing Tooth Infection: This in-depth article talks about tooth diseases and ways to prevent them.
- Diabetes and Dental Problems: Many illnesses can affect your teeth. This page describes the ways that having diabetes, a very common illness, can cause oral health problems.
- Teeth: A Gateway to History: This article about an archeological find in China helps us understand how we can learn about history from teeth.
- Our Tooth Family: The study of animal teeth can have an impact on the way we view our own. This article about vertebrate teeth helps us do just that.
- The Truth About Teeth Whitening: The artificial whitening of teeth has become very popular. This article explains the ins and outs of teeth whiteners.
- Tooth Injuries: Accidents happen. This article describes injuries to our teeth and ways to prevent them.
- Tooth-Brushing Mistakes and How to Fix Them: It seems pretty easy to brush your teeth, but even grown-ups can learn how to do it better.
- Toothbrushes Through Time: This interesting article about toothbrushes shows how this important tool has changed over time.
- Brushing the Right Way: It’s not only important to brush your teeth: It’s important to brush them the right way.
- Cavities in Kids: Sometimes, cavities happen even if we do everything we’re supposed to. The information here on cavities can help make getting them taken care of less scary.
- Getting the Basics Right: Parents magazine highlights the basics of dental care for kids. They even share great videos of how to brush a baby’s teeth.
- Teeth Facts: Did you know that armadillos can have up to 100 teeth? There are a whole bunch of neat facts about teeth on this page!
- Orthodontists in Alexandria, VA: Here are some great resources from an Alexandria dentist on orthodontic care.
- All About Baby (Teeth): Did you know that your baby teeth were in your mouth before you were even born? Learn a bunch of interesting facts about baby teeth and how to take care of them here.
- Be a Cavity-Free Kid: This is a great checklist of things you should know about tooth-healthy foods.
- Bad Breath: Bad breath can happen to anyone for a lot of reasons. Here’s some information on what you can do to prevent it.
- Diet and Bad Breath: Tooth-healthy foods can help keep away problems with bad breath, too. These tips from the American Dental Association can help you learn about foods that make your breath bad and your mouth unhealthy.
- Candy and Teeth: We all like candy, but eating a lot of candy can be bad for your teeth. This page can show you how and why.
- Alexandria Dentists: This page by one of my dentist friends talks about what dentists do to help you keep your teeth healthy.
- Model Mouth Craft: Try out this fun art project to make a model of your mouth!
- Activities About Teeth: There are all sorts of fun ways you can learn about taking care of your teeth, from making art to doing science experiments!
- Songs About Teeth: Everyone loves a song. Did you know that there are songs about teeth? These are some of my favorite songs!