Posted on: August 11, 2016
How a Pediatric Dentist Can Protect Your Child from Tooth Decay
Did you know that the average healthy two-year-old has never visited a pediatric dentist? In fact, only 25% of children have seen a dentist by the age of five. Since tooth decay is the most common chronic childhood disease in the nation, children must see a pediatric dentist in Atlanta from an early age to help them avoid dental decay.
When a Child Should Start Seeing a Pediatric Dentist
According to pediatric dental experts, a child should have their first dental visit as soon as their first tooth erupts or no later than their first birthday. The child’s pediatrician can refer you to a pediatric dentist in Atlanta. During this first dental exam, the pediatric dentist will examine the child’s mouth, look for problems with their dental development, and provide information about regular dental maintenance and protecting against tooth decay.
Why Pediatric Dentists Aren’t Sweet on Sugar for Kids
A baby’s regular and long-term exposure to sugary formula, milk, or juice in their baby bottles and sippy cups can result in a problem called baby bottle tooth decay. When teeth are submerged in these sugars, it promotes the development of tooth decay. If left untreated, baby bottle tooth decay can lead to major pain, dental infection, and severe decay that could require tooth extraction. Yet by reducing a baby’s exposure to sugary liquids and gently wiping their teeth and gums a few times a day, you can significantly decrease the development of this disease.
How to Protect a Child’s Smile from Decay
Tips for parents to decrease the risk of early childhood tooth decay include:
- Try to wean the child off of the bottle or breast by age one.
- Do not let children use baby bottles or sippy cups throughout the day and limit them to only meals and snack times.
- Encourage children to drink sugary beverages through a straw to reduce contact with teeth.
- Wipe a baby’s gums with a damp cloth after every feeding, when they wake, and at bedtime.
- Start brushing the child’s teeth with a soft-bristled brush and water as soon as their first tooth emerges.
- Take the child to see a pediatric dentist in Atlanta by age one or when their first tooth appears.
- Follow the care and cleaning advice of the pediatric dentist to preserve the child’s dental health.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Atlanta, call today or make an appointment.
and its affiliated practices offer affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Atlanta. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. Our practices provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover affordable dentists who truly care.